Calling all enthusiasts to attend one of the top events in the Dubai golf sporting calendar! The 26th Omega Dubai Desert Classic tees off on 29th January till the 1st of February.
Words by Aneesha Rai in The Lifestyle · Jan. 21st, 2015
One of the most anticipated events of the year, the Omega Dubai Desert Classic is on the radar for most golf enthusiasts. The event has been tagged as one With A-List celebrity golfers participating, including the likes of Rory McIlroy (World #1), Henrik Stenson (World #2) and defending champion Stephen Gallacher, the tournament is geared up to be nail biting.
The event tees off on the 29th of January at the Emirates Golf Club's Majlis course, offering close proximity to Emirates Hills residents. Offering the glory of a golf course in the desert, this tournament has prize money worth $2.5 million to be won. This past year, the tournament celebrated its 25th anniversary with panache, with noted golf celebrities attending and participating including Tiger Woods, Henrik Stenson, Ernie Els, Fred Couples, Mark O'Meara, Colin Montgomerie and José Maria Olazabal.
Top 5 Things To Look Out For At This Year's Tournament:
1) We have all eyes on defending champion Stephen Gallacher of Scotland, who was the first golfer to successfully defend his title last year and is participating again in the tournament this year.
2) Prodigy Rory McIlroy is another contender to watch, as he has held the title of the youngest winner at the tournament in 2009. He was only 19 years and 273 days when he won the title.
3) This year, the tournament sees the entry of the only two Arabs, Moroccans Faycal Serghini and Ahmed Marjane. There is much hope resting on the duo, with Serghini topping the Arab Division for the Shaikh Maktoum Golf Foundation Award last season, just ahead of Marjane, who became the first Arab golfer to win a MENA Golf Tour event since its inception in 2011.
4) Title Challenger Lee Westwood takes to the greens after a series of near misses in the past tournaments. Will he finally win the title?
5) Gargash Enterprises is giving away a Mercedes Benz to to the first professional golfer to record a hole-in-one on the par-3, 15th hole.
Tickets are available here. A single entry pass costs AED 175 for single entry and AED 675 for a season pass, with 10% off for Golf Citizen members. Children under 18 can attend the tournament for free when accompanied by an attending adult.
Has this article inspired you to pick up your golf clubs? Several of our featured golf communities offer stunning golf course views and accessibility close to home.